Last Updated: April 3, 2019
We and Jugaad Ventures Inc., and we have created the “world’s largest audio-visual book library”. Simbi, our online software application learning platform, is helping over 12,000 students learn how to read at 43 schools globally. Our mission to help people to fall in love with reading spans the world!. Today, students and others using Simbi are helping over 10,000 students around the world learn to love reading! We use techniques backed by science. Our “Read Out Loud” and “Read While Listening” systems, combined with the power of a collaborative platform, instill intrinsic and extrinsic motivational inputs to help drive a reader’s desire to read and improve the reading proficiency.
Protecting your privacy and the privacy of all our users is fundamental to our mission and business. The following summarizes our commitments to you:
- We never sell your personal information.
- We don’t own the content you add to Simbi.
- We use the latest security industry best practices to protect you.
- We are transparent about our practices and will notify you if things change.
What personal information do we collect?
- Contact information. In order to open an Account, we ask for an email address (of a parent or guardian of a student who is under 13 years of age, or of a teacher).
- User name and password for account creation. If you create an Account, we may collect a user name and password. In order to help teachers identify a particular student user, we collect a student’s first name and last initial.
- Your content. We also collect Content that is added by users of the Service. This Content is generally made up of voice recordings, of students, parents and educators.
- Correspondence you send to us. We may store correspondence with parents or teachers related to our Service, and we may collect any personal information that you send to us via email or otherwise.
- Log Data: When you use the Service, we receive log data such as your IP address, browser type, operating system, device information, and your mobile carrier. In addition, we may receive or collect additional information such as the referring web page, referring search terms, and pages visited.
We do not collect…
- Student education records;
- Information that directly identifies a child (such as full name, e-mail address, phone number); or
- Personal information of a child, unless we have obtained a parent or legal guardian’s consent or otherwise comply with law.
Any user of the Service must be able to provide consent – with respect to use of the Service and how we collect, use and disclose personal information. We require that educators obtain parental consent before using Simbi with children who are under the age when they can legally grant consent on their own.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from anyone under 13 years of age without parental consent. If you are aware that we are collecting information from a child without parental consent, please contact us immediately at [email protected] and we will delete the information.
Here is a link to our consent form: https://www.simbi.io/consent/
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We only use the personal information that we collect to provide our Service to you. For example, we use this information to:
- Allow you to access and use our Service by verifying your identity and storing your Content.
- Create and share narrated books using voice recordings.
- Provide teachers, schools, parents and family members with customer support.
- Notify you about activity on and updates to your account or your child’s account (if you’ve indicated in your account settings that you’d like notifications).
- Research, understand, and analyze trends of users to improve and develop new features for our products.
- Invite your contacts, friends, family, and acquaintances to read with you via social sharing and internal sharing services.
- Allow you to be add users, and be added, to groups for use at home, at school, and elsewhere.
- Provide authorized teachers, schools, parents and family members with progress regarding their students’, or child’s, or children’s account.
- Promote new products and services to teachers, parents and schools.
- Investigate, prevent, and detect activities on our service that we believe may violate the law or applicable regulations. We may, at the request of a school, investigate accounts to determine whether they comply with school policies.
- If you are using the Service as a teacher, parent, or educator, we may use your IP address to determine your approximate location for the purposes of sending you customized marketing and other information about our products.
Cookies are small text files that we transfer to your web browser that allow us to identify your web browser and store information about your account. We use these cookies to keep you logged in to the Service, customize your experience, understand how you use the Service, and promote the Service to relevant teachers and schools.
You can choose to remove or disable cookies via your browser settings. Please be aware that the Service may not work as intended or at all if you disable or decline cookies.
DO WE ALLOW ADVERTISING OR SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR ADVERTISING?
No. We do not display ads, allow third-party ads, share information for the purpose of displaying ads, or allow information collection by third-party advertisers or data brokers.
IN WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES MAY WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We do not sell or share the personal information you provide to us with third parties except in the limited circumstances detailed below, and as otherwise described in this policy:
- We use a small number of third-party service providers in order to operate and improve the Service – for example a data center operator that manages our servers or a notification service that helps us send you messages about your account. These services need access to your personally identifiable information in order to work (i.e. your email address is required to send you email), but are contractually prohibited from using that information for any other purpose other than to provide the Service.
- We may disclose your information to a third party to comply with applicable laws or regulations, or a valid legal request – including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. If we are going to disclose your personal information, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited from doing so by law.
DO WE WORK WITH THIRD-PARTY ANALYTICS SERVICES?
We are constantly improving, and we use aggregate data about how the Service is used – for example what buttons you click on or what pages you visit – to inform those decisions.
To help us analyze this data, we use a small number of third-party services (such as Google Analytics, Mix Panel, Segment, Facebook, Roll Bar, and Intercom). In no circumstances is any personal information you have shared with us shared with these services. In addition, these services are contractually obligated only to use information about your usage of the Service to provide analytics services to us and are prohibited from sharing it or using it for other purposes. If you do not wish to participate in Google Analytics, you may download the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
RETENTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only retain personal information for as long as necessary to achieve the purposes outlined in this Policy. Note that we may delete an account and all Content associated with the account if the account has not been accessed for more than 2 years.
HOW TO VIEW, CORRECT, EDIT, OR UPDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you would like to access, correct, edit or update any of your personal information, you can do this by logging into your Account, or by contacting our Privacy Officer at [email protected]
HOW TO DELETE YOUR SIMBI ACCOUNT
If you would like to delete your Simbi account or any content submitted through the Service, please send an email to [email protected]
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE?
We take protecting your security and privacy seriously and we’ve put a number of measures in place to protect your personal information, including the use of secure socket layer (SSL) technology to transmit your data.
In the event of a security breach, we will notify affected account holders within the amount of time required by law so that you can take steps to keep your personal information safe.